Pest control services often involve the use of chemicals, such as pesticides and insecticides, to prevent or get rid of pests inside and outside the home. Some companies use toxic chemicals that could cause harm if ingested or exposed to, so it’s recommended that you go with a company that refrains from using these products. There are companies that provide pest control in Englewood, FL that use non toxic chemicals in order to protect people, pets, and other beneficial insects, while still protecting the home from infestation.
The use of chemicals during pest control services
There’s a variety of chemicals and other products that can be used for pest control services. Different products are used for the removal of different pests. There are also different types of chemicals for inside and outside treatments. Typically, outdoor pest control is done using a spray. However, sprays should not be used indoors. Granules and bate are the most common types of pest control methods used inside the home.
Pest can also infest lawns and plant beds, which could lead to infestation within the home. Companies that provide lawn care services in Englewood, FL may also provide pest control services if there are pests damaging your lawn. Pesticides and fertilizers are often used for treatment in these scenarios.
Some products used for pest control contain toxic chemicals that are harmful for those within the home, as well as for the environment. Some of these chemicals are banned from being used in residential areas, but it is still important to make sure the company that you choose does not use these chemicals for pest control.
- Organophosphates. These pesticides are the most widely used chemicals for pest control. Exposure to these chemicals can make people sick, especially if the pesticide is breathed in, consumed through contaminated food or water, or gets on the skin. According to the CDC, some initial symptoms include headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, and vomiting. Later on after exposure, people can experience nervous system issues including muscle weakness and neuropathy.
- Neonicotinoids. Neonicotinoids are insecticides that are chemically similar to nicotine. Though they are not as harmful to humans and pets as organophosphates, they can still be dangerous. They also negatively affect the beneficial insects in the environment like honey bees and butterflies. Acetamiprid, clothianidin, imidacloprid, nitenpyram, nithiazine, thiacloprid and thiamethoxam are all neonicotinoids.
Though the use of toxic chemicals is common, there are companies that use nontoxic chemicals as well. Some of these include:
- Repellents like picaridin and citronella.
- Pesticides such as bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), Spinosad, horticultural oil, and neem oil.
- Pyrethrin, which is an insecticide.
- Other pest control substances such as iron phosphate, which is used to exterminate slugs and snails.
Other forms of pest control
Some pest control services do not require the use of chemicals. For example, rodent infestations are treated with the use of traps. Other pests, like honeybees, are protected and need to be relocated instead of exterminated.
Pest control in Englewood, FL
Turf Enough Lawn Care provides lawn care services in Englewood, FL, along with pest control. We use nontoxic chemicals that are safe for people, pets, and the environment.
Contact us, today, if you have any questions about the treatments we use, or if you are interested in our services. We are happy to help!